Friday 14 March 2008

Fairacres

This is the last place I visit, and I'm glad to be completing the walk here.

Emet, Cyril's guide dog, gives Mitzpah a warm welcome. Mitzpah goes to sleep, waking only for a couple of well-earned pre-Shabbat biscuits. When I mention the statue at Liverpool Street Station in commemoration of the Kindertransport, Thea tells Claire Mandel and me that she came here from Berlin with the Transport. She was just twelve and a half years old. 'I remember my father blessing us in the hallway the night before we left', she said. They never saw each other again.

I go down the long corridor to see David Jackson. He used to come to every Talmud class, self-made scholar with his wonderful sense of humour. He's laughing again today. 'This is my last hug of the walk', I say to him. He tells me how, during a time when he found it hard to read much in the Siddur he created his own spirituality. 'More abstract', he says, 'It has four key
words: Life, spirit, goodness and love.'

No comments: