Monday 10 March 2008

Storm on the Thames Towpath

A wonderful morning along the Thames towpath. It turns out we’re not the only lunatics out and Mitzpah soon meets a convocation of dogs. The path is strewn with blown down branches. Red catkins, branches of alder, and on the grass sloping down to the rough river, white and yellow daffodils. The storm has obviously brought plenty for the birds. There are ducks, swans, Canada geese and one grey heron. Mitzpah is disturbed by the noise. At first I thought it was the wind, but then I realised it’s the sound of transport. It’s only an aeroplane I tell him, then look up and see that it’s actually a train cross the bridge at Barnes. What use are humans? A tramp comes round the corner, cheerfully pulling his belongings in one big bag he gives me the thumbs up. It reminds me that there are far too many people we think too little about.

No comments: